Saturday, November 10, 2012

Question 1 (Worldview)


As much as it pains me to admit it, I believe that much of my worldview has been and still is affected by the media. When I was a child, watching cartoons and children shows, my idea of the world was roughly defined as a place with both good and evil, but also a place where good would always win. I think this worldview was reinforced by watching sitcoms and cartoons where all the problems they faced were solved in less than thirty minutes. This had me believing that things would always work out for people who had good intentions and that those with malicious intentions would somehow fail. Though my worldview doesn’t quite fall in line with that anymore, it is still challenged and influenced by the mass media. Hearing about all the misfortune, and in some cases tragedy, on the news can still making me question my current worldview.

2 comments:

  1. I think that for everyone their worldview has been and still is affected by the media. The thing to be aware of is how much it affects you. Does it affect your decisions? your actions? I hope that media doesn't take over our lives because it seems that way sometimes. It's definitely easy to fall into the grasp of media, but when you learn to critically think and analyze the media, you find yourself making your own decisions instead of always going with the flow. It's very dangerous to get all of your information from the media because it can be misleading. Things will not always work out for people with good intentions, but I don't think it's wrong to hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that everyone has been effected by watching television. Everyone in one way has been affected by what the media has been portraying in the news. Biased viewpoints are everywhere in all sorts of news channels. One news channel may be republican based and the other may be democratic based. This makes it very rare to find a news channel that is not biased.This affects the public and can change the turnout of an election. It is a great use for campaigning and strategy to use against an opponent when running for a high position such as presidency. So the media is very important in society.

    ReplyDelete