Monday, November 12, 2012

Bias in News


The part of this chapter that I thought was interesting was bias in the news. This part explained how aside from selecting stories that appeal to the largest audience, the news is often reported in a biased way to keep us tuned in. It said that reporters may exaggerate or play down certain aspects of the story in order to keep us interested in what was happening. They also try to stay away from stories that might offend their sponsors, thus the news can seem one-sided at times. Furthermore, there are certain gender biases in news, in that the news is usually reported from a male point of view. I thought this was interesting because, before reading this, I hadn’t realized how much the news was affected by outside sources. I could understand why television shows or commercials might be biased on some matters but I figured the news was above all of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment