Sunday, February 12, 2012

Particular Others

A concept that I found interesting in this chapter was that of Particular Others. The chapter explained that as we grow we learn to see ourselves based on how other significant people in our lives see us. These Particular Others can be, and are often, our parents, teachers and friends. I thought it was interesting how much of what we are told and how we are treated as a child can affect how we see ourselves as adults. My parents and teachers had always praised and encouraged my accomplishment. I guess I never really realized how much that made me want to try harder and be better. It’s funny to think that if they had responded differently to my accomplishments, I might be a different person today. It really is the responsibility of adults to make sure that children understand how special they are and how proud we are of their every achievements.

No comments:

Post a Comment