Sunday, September 2, 2012

8 Steps

Chapter six lists eight steps that can help us improve our arguments. First, we must develop a list of premises. After that, we move onto eliminating irrelevant premises, establishing a conclusion, organizing our arguments, testing our arguments, revising it if we need to and lastly acting on our conclusion. I found the section regarding the eight steps and premises to be very interesting. It made me realize how inadequate some of my arguments have been in the past and how I can hope to improve them in the future. I liked how this chapter showed that there is a proper way to argue with someone that minimizes the risks of hurting feelings or offending. I’ve never really liked arguing with people. I would much rather discuss the matter like an adult. However, with what I have learned from this chapter, I feel like I am ready to tackle the next argument that comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment