Saturday, October 6, 2012

Question 2 (Rhetorical Devices)


Rhetorical devices use psychological persuasion, rather than reason, to persuade others to accept a particular position. They include euphemisms, dysphemism, sarcasm and hyperbole. I've used both sarcasm and hyperbole this week. Sarcasm uses ridicule, insults, taunts, and or caustic irony in order to create a sense of disapproval towards an intended target. I was being sarcastic when I told my friend, who had kept me waiting for twenty minutes, that "it was cool how he was always on time". My tone of voice told him I did not actually think this and, as is the way with sarcasm, it was intended to make him feel bad. I used hyperbole, which is the use of exaggeration in describing something, when I explained the football game I had watched. I told my friend it was "the best game we had played this season" when it was actually a pretty disappointing game for my team. I guess making it seem better for us was easier than admitting how let down I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment